Friday, February 1, 2013

Flash Fiction Fridays, #4


It’s Flash Fiction Fridays again. 
5 words picked by a random word generator, 100 words or fewer story.  We have: down light, seasick, fan, gym, bullet. I have no idea why the random word generator decided that “down light” counts as one word, but let’s roll with it. Please send in one of your own, due by midnight, Monday, New York time. Winner gets a critique of the first chapter of their WIP or poem.

      I left the gym and headed for the indoor pool.  
“Geek, nerd, loser,” floated after me. I sank like a bullet, my hair fanning out.
I cruised the bottom, my lungs meaningless, empty. Through the down light, my skin gleamed like sea-glass, aquamarine. Seasick for Gloucester and the North Atlantic chill, I was never coming up. Iowa. Choking on fields of green.
My clothes are second-hand. I can’t catch a ball or lap the track without falling. Plain Jane drowning in a sea of prom queens.
Fish out of water? Try teen mermaid in a leg-loving world.






No comments:

Post a Comment